Monday, September 26, 2011

Say something….


Don’t lose your voice, your ability to speak. You carry a great responsibility to be a voice to the people around you.  You have it among your peers, at the office, with your friends, and family, but more importantly with your children.

How do we wield the power of our voices?  Through the spoken word.  Words can create or destroy.  They can heal or wound.  Words can hinder or set others free. 

As women and as a mother we have words that guide, words that build up and words that tear down.  There is power in our words.  Our words can either speak life or death; I say choose life.  The words we speak over our children will be a guiding force in their lives.

As I get on with life, I realize that my words have not always been seasoned as they should be. 

Surely, we have spoken words that we wanted to take back as though they were never spoken. The truth is, once spoken they are gone forever.  They seem to carry a life of their own.  Were you ever the recipient of harsh words?  They seem to take wings and carry a continual message in your mind; mulling it over and over.  Good or bad, words seem to have the same affect, it can produce good fruit or bad fruit in our lives. 

I have been very conscientious of words all my life.  I have heard the good, the bad, and the ugly.   I have been encouraged by words and discouraged by others.   I love to write words, I love to read words and I like to speak words.   I am still mastering the language of love, words that edify.  I don’t always get it right, but I’m in pursuit of it daily.  

I try to be an encourager to my family and friends.  My goal is to leave a lasting word that will take flight in the hearts and mind of my love ones so that when it is all said and done, my words would have lasting impact and I would have been an instrument of change to someone else. 

I had an older brother, who later in life would not say very much, but I knew his heart well and I loved him.   When he came to a place in his life where the conversations became limited, I decided to send him a note to tell him how much he meant to me. I thanked him for always being my big brother and for taking care of me.  I told him how much I loved him. He thanked me for that note and told me how much it meant to him.  He took such good care of me when I was growing up.  He taught me to drive.  He would protect me from anything.  He’s gone now, but that love note meant so much.  Those words linked our two hearts together, and still do.

Perhaps you struggle with saying what you mean,choose your words caustiously. Some of you may have to write down on paper. Don't let your emotions get in the way of speaking your truth.

There are people out there that need to hear your voice, that need to hear your words of hope, truth and courage.  Words are very important, say what you want, be your authentic self. You are the only one that can say it, say something!  .

1 comment:

  1. You have challenged me today. I shall endeavor to use my "voice" more deliberately - choosing my words carefully, delivering them with love and honesty, to have an enduring, positive impact.

    ReplyDelete